Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for September, 2014

So I made the dress to wear to my friends’ wedding. Actually, a dress, a hat, a petticoat and a pocket square. Feeling puuurretty good about it.

The skirt section of the dress has a faced opening that is not part of the side seam. You’re supposed to make a nice faced section and then sew the skirt to the bodice and insert a regular zipper. My problem with that was that the fabric I used is fine and lustrous and lightweight and I didn’t want to ruin its appearance with an ordinary zipper: only an invisible zipper would do. However, I didn’t know whether it would be possible to insert an invisible zipper into this sort of faced section. Turned out, it’s totally doable!

Here are the original pattern instructions:

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

I followed the pattern instructions for creating the faced section, although I cut the facing fabric a little wider and longer than specified, just in case. I also overlocked the edges instead of rolling under. Basically, I figured that I was meant to be creating a nice, neat little slot in the skirt. Considering I wanted to insert an invisible zipper I thought it would be better for the stitching lines to be closer together than 1/4″. I reinforced the corner section just in case. Here are the pics!

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

The next step was carefully cutting between the stitching lines to the corner and then turning the facing pieces out and pressing.

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

The skirt was then ready to be joined to the bodice. Because I made the facing sections extra wide, they extended beyond the seam allowance of the bodice opening.

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

I then pressed my invisible zipper tape to prepare for insertion. I found that all I had to do was position the teeth on the facing carefully, right where it meets the skirt fabric and it worked just fine!

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Doing the other side of the zipper tape was a bit awkward when it came to actually sewing because I was starting from the same position as the first side and then sewing down again (I was trying to avoid the fabric moving around and slipping waaaay out of place) – the bulk of the dress was bunched up to the right of the needle. But it worked, so no complaints 🙂

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

So here are a few piccies of the final dress on location (and some of my favourite people):

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: